Wednesday, September 21, 2011

This post is for Earl...

Earl Cook was a young Winnipeg hockey fan who battled life-long health problems but remained a steadfast fan, a jovial person and an amazing Canadian.  I never had the pleasure of meeting Earl, he lived across the country from me, but I've heard his story(or stories!) often.  Earl  batled fetal alcohol spectrum disorder, the foster care system (before his wonderful foster mother, Debbie, brought him home 7 years ago), Asperger's syndrome, Tourette syndrome and cancer.  Through it all he remained a steadfast and sure.  He was going to fight.   To read more about Earl's story visit : http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2011/09/18/winnipeg-earl-cook-hockey-obit.html

Earl inspired me.  I have a sister who has faced many challenges similar, but different, to Earl's and his story really touched my heart.  Earl was an inspiration for Canadians of all ages.  I was so sad to hear of his passing.  I was devestated for his foster mom, Debbie, his friends in the NHL and hockey community and ,selfishly, myself.  Everything I ever read, heard or saw about Earl he was smiling, he was jovial and he was the kind of kid that people could and DID look up to.  In his short 23 years I can tell you he touched people from across the country.  My love and thoughts go out to his friends and family during this difficult time.  This post is for you, Earl.



No comments:

Post a Comment