Monday, October 24, 2011

Where did my life go...?! Some thoughts on volunteering

It's been hectically busy in my life.  I feel like sometimes it's not my own.  I've taken on a LOT of volunteer positions and moved on from some others.  Basically, I'm working on expanding my resume (with causes and events that are near and dear to my heart) through volunteer experience. 

Being a volunteer is an amazing thing.  I've always believed, and I think this is my parents and grandparents doing, that volunteering is the best way to give thanks and give back to your community.  It  is a concrete way of using your skills and knowledge to help members of your community.  It's something that I have always done and I will continue to do. 

I actually told Mr. Dan the other night that I couldn't wait to be retied (says the woman whose just starting her career) so I could volunteer at all the places I wanted to.  So I could be as dedicated a volunteer as I wanted to be.  Mr. Dan just smiled and nodded.  He knows how much I want to take on - and he also knows I can't do any of it while working a full-time job.  But a girl's gotta pay the bills, right?

Anyhoar, the bills are getting paid (thank you employer!) and the volunteering is continuing to happen.  Right now I'm working as a volunteer Media Coordinator for a Dress for Success event (more info on that in the coming days), waiting for the Bluenose Marathon Organizing Committee to get up and going again (I'm co-chair of Public Affairs), being an Advisor for Junior Achievement (my kids are AWESOME!) and working with some ladies to do a fundraiser for our pug group. They're all great events/causes and I'm excited to share the deets, as they come along, with you all (even though I'm still suspicious there's only one of you, dear reader).  So for now I say: Get out there and volunteer! Go to the food bank and spend an hour, visit your SPCA or read to some kids.  Every volunteer is valuable.  Every skill you can  bring to a committee or event is valuable to your community.  Get out there and DO IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment