Monday, July 18, 2011

Getting fit...or something like it

I am always hesitant to post on here about my fitness, or lack there of, and my weight-loss journeys...I know this is supposed to be personal but that stuff is just so....personal.  But today I break with tradition, today I break my silence.  As some of you know, and some of you don't, I'm a large lady.  We're talkin' real plus sized.  I'm actually a 20/22 for anyone that's interested in buying me some wicked new tops...but I digest...Since October I have lost 30 lbs.  Pretty good, right?  Well yes...it is! Thanks! But I'm doing more...

This February I am going to jog a 5K in Disney.  That's right, my old adage of "fat chicks don't run" just blew up in my face.  'Cause I'm doin' it.

Let's start at the beginning; Ever since I was a teenager I've wanted to do a 5K.  I just thought it would be so cool to be able to say "I ran a 5K."  Or more importantly "I CAN run a 5K."  Now I thought about training in university and I joined the gym.  Then I got in a skiing accident and my doctor told me that there was NO WAY I would ever be able to run a 5K with a knee like that (I may or may not have walked around on the cracked knee cap and broken leg bone until it healed...oops!) so I gave up.  But it's always been a dream.

Fast forward to my post-grad: Our instructor told us to write down 1, 5 and 10 year goals.  ANYTHING we wanted.  They should be attainable but they should be challenging.  The first thing I wrote, under my 5 year goals, was that I wanted to "Participate in a 5K".  I kind of giggled, but I left it in there.  I NEEDED to do a 5K.

Fast Forward again: I'm the Co-Chair of Public Affairs for the biggest Marathon East of Montreal.  HOLY CRAP! When did I get into this running culture?! And why do I love it?! Everything about it...the back end...the event..the thought of doing it myself....

Let's fast forward one more time: The day of my interview for my current job...I'm sitting in front of the CEO, he's gone over my resume, he's called me in to interview, he's looking through my portfolio and there on the front page are my goals..."Participate in a 5K".  I expected him to laugh, but he looks at me and says "That's really interesting.  Tell me more about the 5K...I'm a runner."  My heart lit up - he didn't laugh he wanted to know more!! So I told him that I was on a fitness journey and my goal was to do a 5K by the 5 year mark (which is 2014)  he loved it and told me that if I wanted to do it then I could.

Then, well a few months after I got the job and became engrossed in this running culture my co-workers seem to have, I told Mr. Dan I wanted to do it.  He also said that I could do it, if I really wanted to he knew I could. (Dear God, I love that man!)  So I started going to the gym more, working harder, and getting in better shape.  I knew I had to be ready because when the opportunity came I needed to take it.

Well, the opportunity has come: In February 2012 I will be in Orlando, Florida with some AMAZING women I've become friends with and I will be taking part in my first 5K race.  HOLY CRAP!!!  And, we will be raising money for a wonderful animal protection organization called APAWS!! Love me some rescue pets!

Now, how have I gotten this far in my training, you may ask?  Well, I've been working hard for a number of years at getting "fit".  I may not be "small" but I'm getting much fitter.  I'm stronger, I've lost weight, I have more energy and I can walk...Oh  boy can I walk!!  And this got me thinking...can I run?  Well, I wanted to find out so 6 weeks ago I started walking one mile, on the treadmill, 3 times a week.  At first it took me a long time - about 35 minutes a mile.  Not good.  But then I started adding in some interval jogging. And I got quicker, and it got easier to do...

Today I walked and did 5, 1 minute jogging intervals, and I went 1.09 miles in 19 minutes and 20 seconds.  I'm not on pace for the Disney 5K (you need to be 16 minutes a mile) But I am SO incredibly proud that I've gone from 35 minutes a mile to 19 minutes a mile!! AMAZABALLS!

So now, reader, I turn to you...keep me accountable and help me keep myself motivated.  Right now, I know it's going to be hard...but with the support of my wonderful family, Mr. Dan, my wonderful friends and you I know I can do it.

<3
P

2 comments:

  1. You can do it, I know you can! And we'll be running right along with you sweets!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Katie! I can't wait to get there...I know with everyone's support we can ALL do this!!!

    ReplyDelete